little bits of me
6.19.2004
  the patch-day 20

An obvious point about quitting smoking with not so obvious consequences: the money saved is more than just that spent on smokes.

I like to be comfortable and relaxed when I smoke. If I am alone I like to be sitting down and to have something in front of me to read, preferably a newspaper (most items in a newspaper can be read in the time it takes to have a smoke, plus I'm a bit of a news junky). Coffee is an absolute must. Considering these two qualifications I tend to spend a fair amount of time at cafe's that have an outdoor patio.

The literature that came with my patch suggests staying away from places and situations that I associate with smoking. So, there goes the outdoor cafe. There goes the extra coffee or two a day. There goes the newspaper.

Over the past twenty days I figure I have saved $100 in cigarettes, $35 in coffee and $10 in newspapers. That's a total of $145 that I can easily categorize. There are additional savings that aren't so easy to tally, like the Nibs or Twizzlers that I pick up when I get my cigarettes.

Just being a smoker meant that I usually had cash on hand if I needed to get more smokes. That cash on hand meant that I could buy other things impulsively. I think I've been to a bank machine twice in the past three weeks. No extra cash, no impulse buying. How much am I saving because of this? No idea, but it's likely somewhere between the amount spent on coffee and the amount spent on newspapers, say $20.

Now that I am actually going through the process of looking at the cost of my habit I'm actually kind of shocked. It's starting to look like my smoking habit cost me close to $60 a week. Yikes. You do the math on annual savings. I'm not even going to factor in the cost on the health care system. 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
all the time
mind travels far
conversations
with my same self
tumbling the world
all that I perceive
into smooth
manageable pieces
press them on to paper
and sell em in a book
little bits of me


Quinquagesima, n. the Sunday before the beginning of Lent.
more

most days
BBC
CBC
CNN
Al-Jazeera
Common Dreams
The Guardian
Globe and Mail
Halifax Herald
Islam Online
Juan Cole
NetFreak
New York Times
my photos
Reuters
Toronto Star
Washington Post

not most days
Riverbend
Raed
the slow life
Northern Polemics
Wildfire
James Balog
Andrew Coyne
Inkless Wells
Topix.net - Canada News
The Tyee
Eric Margolis
Georgia Straight
The Dominion
The Sunday Independent

periodically useful
Canadian Government
CIA - The World Fact Book
Halifax webcam
Merriam-Webster Online
Parks Canada
Vancouver weather

comics
Doonesbury
Get Fuzzy
Sherman's Lagoon
Non-Sequitur

book queue
The Death of Vishnu - Manil Suri
Beloved - Toni Morrison
The Hudson Book of Poetry - anthology
In Search of Schrodinger's Cat - John Gribbin
the curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon

commissions and inquiry
Arar Commission
Gomery Inquiry

archives
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004


Powered by Blogger