little bits of me
6.10.2004
 

I have discussed this before, the issue of being timely with my writing, and I still have a way to go before I will be happy with my progress. Focus. The other day I began to write and it went something like this:

Good morning. Mr. Robin and his stupid friends pulled me from my sleep at around 5:15 this morning and wouldn't let me get back to the business at hand.

For the past week it has been the same: Wake at five to the songs of Mr. Robin and friends, coming from the neighbor's yard; lie in bed for at least half an hour hoping not to disturb wife while dreaming of ways to make Mr. Robin get lost; throw in the odd random thought of how nice it would be to bum a smoke from Mr. Robin because I'd really like to have one and that in fact, under different circumstances, Mr. Robin's song would actually be pleasing to listen to; fall back into a fitful light sleep filled with bizarre dreams for another hour.

I skipped most of the process this morning and have instead been sitting in front of the computer since 5:30 plodding about the internet in search of election campaign issues, visiting candidate sites for news (of which there is little, which brings me back to the whole issue of the ineptness of candidates in their use of the internet as a valuable tool) and further getting absorbed into the great black hole of the world wide web. A slippery slope indeed.


What followed this was an attempt to deal with too many issues at once: namely, an idiots guide to some of the more basic problems I have with all the Parties vying for leadership of the country, from their platforms to the personalities of the candidates and party leaders. Having bitten off this huge thesis I attempted too quickly to chew it in to those little, smooth, manageable pieces that I mention at the top of the page in my site description/explanation. My subject matter was not suitable for the amount of space I intended to fill (a few paragraphs, not a tome), nor did it any longer match my original thesis (I actually started reading party platforms which cleared up a few misperceptions). So, I walked away from it to think and never really got beyond merely thinking about it.

Having said that, I did arrive at a solution to my problem. Beginning tomorrow, I will present the first part of a series looking at the parties, the issues and the personalities involved in the coming elections.  
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
all the time
mind travels far
conversations
with my same self
tumbling the world
all that I perceive
into smooth
manageable pieces
press them on to paper
and sell em in a book
little bits of me


Quinquagesima, n. the Sunday before the beginning of Lent.
more

most days
BBC
CBC
CNN
Al-Jazeera
Common Dreams
The Guardian
Globe and Mail
Halifax Herald
Islam Online
Juan Cole
NetFreak
New York Times
my photos
Reuters
Toronto Star
Washington Post

not most days
Riverbend
Raed
the slow life
Northern Polemics
Wildfire
James Balog
Andrew Coyne
Inkless Wells
Topix.net - Canada News
The Tyee
Eric Margolis
Georgia Straight
The Dominion
The Sunday Independent

periodically useful
Canadian Government
CIA - The World Fact Book
Halifax webcam
Merriam-Webster Online
Parks Canada
Vancouver weather

comics
Doonesbury
Get Fuzzy
Sherman's Lagoon
Non-Sequitur

book queue
The Death of Vishnu - Manil Suri
Beloved - Toni Morrison
The Hudson Book of Poetry - anthology
In Search of Schrodinger's Cat - John Gribbin
the curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon

commissions and inquiry
Arar Commission
Gomery Inquiry

archives
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004


Powered by Blogger