little bits of me
5.02.2004
 

All the time
Mind travels far.
Conversations
With my same self.
Tumbling the world,
All that I perceive,
Into smooth
Manageable pieces.
Press them on to paper
And sell em in a book,
Little bits of me.


I opened an old book of poetry the other day. Poetry composed and compiled by me that I hadn't read in a long time. The 'little bits of me' book. There were words written that I had forgotten about. Other passages felt familiar yet enough time had passed that even these read as new. They hardly seemed my words and I enjoyed reading them.

The poems in 'little bits of me' are a reflection of a period in my life when I was looking at the world through eyes set on a spirit quest. To be certain, I was aware of the larger world around me and I wrote about it in my journal. These were the matters of the state and of society as a whole. But my primary filter then was my soul and it dominates the musings in my poetry.

Alternatively, a half dozen or so poems that also hardly seem to be my words are sketched out in the back pages of my journal, the most recent entry composed over five months ago. Unlike many of the poems found in 'little bits of me', these latest writings don't take me to the moment of their composition. The words are empty and contrived like I was forcing myself to write them, which I probably was. It seems my spirit quest has been put on hold.

There used to be balance in my writing. A little bit of poetry, a little bit of prose. I would focus on one for a period and then shift to the other. The two genres alternated often enough that I didn't have to relearn any skills. I wrote prose with my head and poetry with my heart. Somewhere, I stopped paying attention to my heart.

Some times I would try to address political issues in my poetry, but it rarely translated. The ideas when presented as verse always seemed awkward. These thoughts are better left for prose. However, my spirit writing prose was an easier crossover, though even then it was an intellectual exercise, not an artistic one.

My thoughts now have less to do with my soul than they have to do with a world I cannot control. I think I'm in the process of learning how it all fits together - what an expectation. Years of writing essays and examining the world have guided me away from simple creative output. Now I have forgotten how to write poetry. It's a skill I must relearn.

The heart and the mind are connected and I would like to think that their connection is through the soul. Without these two working together in exploring the world my understanding of it is incomplete. The words may ring true, but their message carries less weight. It is the soul that drives conviction and my words require a balance of heart and mind if they are to be without misunderstanding. It is time I brought that balance back.


 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
all the time
mind travels far
conversations
with my same self
tumbling the world
all that I perceive
into smooth
manageable pieces
press them on to paper
and sell em in a book
little bits of me


Quinquagesima, n. the Sunday before the beginning of Lent.
more

most days
BBC
CBC
CNN
Al-Jazeera
Common Dreams
The Guardian
Globe and Mail
Halifax Herald
Islam Online
Juan Cole
NetFreak
New York Times
my photos
Reuters
Toronto Star
Washington Post

not most days
Riverbend
Raed
the slow life
Northern Polemics
Wildfire
James Balog
Andrew Coyne
Inkless Wells
Topix.net - Canada News
The Tyee
Eric Margolis
Georgia Straight
The Dominion
The Sunday Independent

periodically useful
Canadian Government
CIA - The World Fact Book
Halifax webcam
Merriam-Webster Online
Parks Canada
Vancouver weather

comics
Doonesbury
Get Fuzzy
Sherman's Lagoon
Non-Sequitur

book queue
The Death of Vishnu - Manil Suri
Beloved - Toni Morrison
The Hudson Book of Poetry - anthology
In Search of Schrodinger's Cat - John Gribbin
the curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon

commissions and inquiry
Arar Commission
Gomery Inquiry

archives
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004


Powered by Blogger